Sunday 12 February 2012

Super Sunday

Instead of a quote this week, I bring you a thought.

Would the world be a happier place if we were congratulated on tasks we did?

What prompted this? Zumba class. At the end of the class, people clap and say 'well done'. Which reminded me of the carry-ons in sports like soccer and football.

So, should all tasks requiring effort be awarded with the same enthusiasm?

At work, would you be more likely to say, add paper into the copy machine, if you were rewarded this way?

Maybe not, because it's usually a matter of doing what needs to be done. But it would be nice if people recognised it, don't you think?

At home, surviving the grocery shopping deserves tremendous high fives, especially if there are children tagging along. After a stint scrubbing the bathroom, wouldn't it be nice to get some 'woohoos'?

Mundane tasks will then be transformed to 'yeah, I did that' with a sense of achievement, instead of 'finally got that done'.

Maybe the point is more we have to congratulate ourselves on jobs well done, no matter how big or small.


Maybe I just think too much. Actually I KNOW I think too much. It's part of being a writer.


Okay, speaking of writers. I just stumbled across this from SF Signal. It's a send up of George R. R. Martin reading a nursery rhyme.



Youtube link


Have a spectacular week and remember to congratulate yourselves.

~yia~

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you're bang on the money with congratulating ourselves after accomplishing an onerous task. As you say, even if it's not a pat on the back and 'job well done', a thank you and acknowledgement that it wasn't the house/work elves at work again would be nice.

Think I might try it today, I've a number of 'ergh, I've got to do that today' jobs lined up. Maybe if I approach them with the attitude of 'I'm going to do that today and be glad I did!' they won't seem so bad.

Eleni Konstantine said...

LOL - those elves get a lot of the congratulations don't they :))

Hope the 'glad i did the jobs' attitude is working for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...